The main focus of Restorative Dentistry is to replace damaged or missing teeth. It includes the study and management of oral diseases that affect the teeth and their supporting structures. This branch of dentistry combines treatments from other dental fields such as endodontics, prosthodontics, and periodontics.
Restorative Dentistry includes procedures such as dental fillings, crowns, dentures, and other cosmetic treatments. The main aim of restorative dentistry is to ensure the teeth' proper functioning while also enhancing the overall look and smile.
What is the importance of Restorative Dentistry?
- Restorative dentistry helps replace the missing teeth and prevent bone loss, which may lead to a collapsed face.
- The alignment of the natural teeth is maintained when the missing teeth are replaced.
- Good oral hygiene is maintained by preventing plaque build-up, which can lead to gum diseases.
- Dental cavities, if not treated, can cause permanent damage to the tooth. Dental fillings not only fill the holes but also prevent the bacteria from entering the damaged area.
What are the different kinds of Restorative Treatments?
- Dental Crowns:They are usually made of porcelain or ceramic. It is used to cover a damaged or cracked tooth. A crown not only strengthens a weak tooth but also improves the shape, alignment, and appearance.
- Dental Bridges: A bridge is a prosthesis that needs the support of the adjoining healthy teeth, which act as abutments. It offers a good alternative for missing teeth.
- Dental Fillings:They are a type of dental restoration and help restore the damaged tooth structure's shape and function. They are commonly used to treat cavities or dental caries.
- Veneers:A veneer is a thin layer of porcelain that helps hide stained or worn down teeth. They are customized to fit your teeth and are bonded to the tooth's surface with adhesives. They enhance the smile and hide the defects of the teeth.
- Lumineers:They are thinner and more economical as compared to traditional veneers. They are easy to fix and can be replaced with ease. They normally last up to 20 years as the material used is strong and durable. Lumineers can be applied with little to no tooth grinding.
- Dentures: They can be partial or complete dentures, meaning they can replace a complete set of missing teeth or a few missing ones. It is a prosthetic device customized according to the patient's needs. They can be easily removed in case you want to clean them or give rest to your gums.
- Inlays and Onlays: They help restore and prevent further complications of cavities that are too large to fill. Inlays are used to fill small cavities, while onlays are used to cover large areas. They are slightly less invasive than crowns and consist of indirect restorative materials.
- Sleep Apnea Treatment and Appliances:Sleep Apnea is a serious sleep disorder that can lead to further health complications if not treated. Treatment for this includes oral appliances therapy, continuous positive airway pressure, or surgery.
Call us at Robinson Family Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about Restorative Dentistry.