General dentists help evaluate, diagnose, treat and prevent the diseases of the oral cavity and help maintain the function and the outer appearance of the teeth. Many oral diseases and abnormalities could be an indicator of other health conditions. A general dentist will recommend the right treatment and, if the need arises, guide you in seeking further specialized health care.
General Dentistry includes a wide range of procedures starting from the initial consultation and diagnostics such as x-rays, CAT scans, and wax molds for the replacement teeth. General dentists provide treatments for tooth decay, missing teeth, place crowns or bridgework. They also carry out advanced procedures like root canals, dental implants, and dentures. Oral screenings for cancer detection are also done.
What are services offered in General Dentistry?
- Teeth Cleanings: It is a part of oral hygiene and includes removing plaque and tartar from teeth to prevent cavities and periodontal diseases. Routine cleaning of the teeth will ensure the removal of tartar which cannot be removed with normal brushing and flossing.
- Dental Examinations: Regular dental examinations will ensure good oral health. A meticulous examination of your teeth will help prevent some common tooth ailments such as decay, gingivitis, etc. The dentists will recommend a daily hygiene regimen to achieve optimal oral health.
- Crowns and Bridges: A normal filling may not effectively protect a tooth if it is decayed or damaged. The dental crowns and bridges provide the best solution in such cases as they may protect the tooth from further harm. General dentists will help you get fitted with a customized crown or bridge.
- Periodontal Treatment: Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss. Besides, gum diseases can lead to a variety of other health issues affecting your entire body. Gum treatments can not only manage periodontal diseases but also keep your mouth safe and healthy.
- Endodontics: Root canal treatment can help save a tooth from extraction. The treatment involves removing the infected or inflamed pulp from the inside of a tooth and covering it with a crown.
- Dentures: They are basically a set of false teeth. If you have a few teeth missing due to an accident or disease, then dentures can help. They are removable false teeth that look and behave in much the same way as natural teeth.
- Dental Implants:They offer the best alternative to make up for the loss of natural teeth. The implant consists of a ceramic crown and a titanium root resembling a natural tooth. The dentist inserts these implants in a patient's jawbone to fill the missing tooth's space, thereby restoring the look, feel, and function of the natural tooth.
- TMJ treatment: It is a type of temporomandibular disorder or TMD. It causes pain in the jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement. A general dentist can discuss possible causes and treatments for your problem.
Call us at Robinson Family Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about General Dentistry.